Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Starnbergersee, solo


Yesterday was one of the first (at least partly) sunny days in what seems like ages, so I hopped on an S-Bahn in the morning, and in three quarters of an hour was at beautiful Starnbergersee (Starnberg Lake).  Although not perfectly clear, you can see the Alps in the background!

I'm sure this place is packed in high season, and as I walked along the lakeside path there were  many places to sit and ingest or imbibe...
My "lunch"







One of the places along the lake path, which I'm sure gets busier than this!

There were only a few Schifffahrt (boat trip... yes the German word has three f's in a row) possibilities since this was still off-season, so I decided on the one-hour version (versus the 3-hour one) in order to get back before the kids came home.
This is the spot on the lake where King
Ludwig II drowned in 1886
(either alone or with help...)
















The boat tour took us around the northern half of Starnberg Lake, which is lovely, and aside from the Alps in  the distance, reminded me somewhat of home.


Town of Starnberg, at the north end of the lake



I wouldn't say I normally like exploring on my own, but it was vey peaceful and relaxing to just enjoy the lake and sun and mountains and not talk to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment